|Home | Weather | Search | Maps | Images of Burgundy | About Burgundy | Our Contributors | Press | Contact Us|
|Travel | Accommodation | Restaurants | Gourmet Traveller | Towns | Property | The Grapevine | Mind, Body & Spirit|
The Château de Bussy-Rabutin
ChAteau de Bussy-Rabutin
The Château de Bussy-Rabutin is undoubtedly an impressive building, but just as interesting is the story of its original owner, Roger de Bussy-Rabutin. 'Outrageous', 'scandalous' and 'flamboyant' are some of the politer descriptions of his character.
It was 1649 when Roger de Bussy-Rabutin completed the restoration of his father's château in a valley opposite the village of Bussy-le-Grand. The result is an imposing building ranged round three sides of a quadrangle set between four conical towers. Standing in 34 hectares (84 acres) of parkland and gardens, this is where he ended up confined, due to his misdemeanours amongst the society of the day.
Cousin of the writer Madame de Sévigné, Bussy-Rabutin
was part of life at the Court of Louis XIV. He had a military career,
distinguished only it seems by an orgy where he sang songs ridiculing
the King's affair with Marie de Mancini. Louis sent Bussy-Rabutin into
exile in Burgundy, and there, accompanied by his mistress, the Marquise
de Montglat, he wrote his 'Histoire Amoureuse des Gaules', a series of
tales, partly true, about four famous ladies of the Court. For this scurrilous
work, he was sent to prison in the Bastille for a year.
The château is an interesting insight into the decadent
reign of the Sun King.
*Château de Bussy-Rabutin, Bussy-le-Grand is open 9.15 to 12.00 and 14.00 to 17.00 daily except Mondays. Tel: 03 80 96 00 03
Burgundy by Request - guided visits to places of historic interest and wineries
Places to visit nearby
Pam Elson ©burgundytoday.com